Signs of a Bad Transmission Control Module
Your transmission is one of the most important parts of your car. Like a chain on a bike, it manages your gears and gives you the ability to accelerate. It takes a lot of internal parts to keep your transmission in good shape, including the clutch, transmission fluid, and a control module.
Like any part, though, it should be inspected and will need maintenance from time to time. So, how do you know when the parts aren’t working properly? For example, what are some signs of a bad transmission control module?
To help drivers in Gulfport, Pascagoula, and Waveland know what to look for, Pat Peck Nissan explores what your control module does and how a bad one can affect your drive.
Bad Transmission Control Module Warning Signs
When there’s a problem with the control module, you won’t be able to count on transmission to shift for you. Some of the signs it gives you to let you know it needs to be repaired include:
- Can’t Accelerate: The most obvious sign that you’ve got transmission trouble is when you step on the gas to accelerate but can’t go any faster.
- Stuck in Gear: Along the same lines, a faulty transmission control module can leave your vehicle stuck in first gear or leave it unable to downshift into lower gears.
- Stuck in Neutral: Another problem with shifting that you may get is that you may not be able to shift into drive at all. If you’re stuck in neutral and can’t get going, odds are you have a faulty control module.
- Delayed Shifting: Delayed shifting may be the most dangerous symptom of a bad transmission control module. If this occurs, you’ll generally feel the car jolt when changing gears well after you’ve accelerated or slowed down.
- Dashboard Light:While there’s no warning light that’s directly tied to the control module, feeling any of these symptoms and seeing either the transmission warning light or the malfunction light means that you’ll probably need transmission repair.
What Is a Transmission Control Module?
A transmission control module manages the gear shifting in an automatic transmission. Think of it as your transmission’s brain. It works like a computer that reads information about your drive including when you brake and accelerate. Using this information, it decides when the transmission has to change gears.
Getting Your Transmission Repaired
When you notice any of the signs of a bad transmission control module and need transmission repair near Gulfport, Pascagoula, or Waveland, schedule service with Pat Peck Nissan.
We have a team of highly trained technicians in our service center who can get your control module back on track. Our team uses state-of-the-art technology to make sure everything under the hood is in good shape and delivering a dependable performance.
Plus, we exclusively use OEM Nissan parts that were designed specifically for your vehicle and your transmission.
To learn more about your transmission control module and get your car shifting properly again, contact our service center or schedule an appointment online.